Home security tips and advice:
Its an obvious statement, but we all want to feel safe in our homes don’t we?
Here are some simple security tips and advice to help protect your home:
1. Install a security system: Invest in a reliable security system that includes features such as burglar alarms, motion sensors, door\/window sensors, and CCTV cameras. Make sure the system is professionally installed.
2. Secure all entry points: Install sturdy locks on all doors and windows. Consider using deadbolt locks for added security. Reinforce doors and frames.
3. Use adequate outdoor lighting: Illuminate your home’s exterior, especially entryways, walkways, and dark corners, to deter potential intruders. Motion-activated lights can be especially effective and energy-efficient. Consider installing timers for indoor lights to create the impression of occupancy when you’re away.
4. Maintain proper landscaping: Trim bushes, trees, and shrubs near windows and entrances regularly to eliminate hiding spots for intruders. Additionally, ensure that your front garden is well-maintained, as an unkempt appearance might indicate an unoccupied or neglected home.
5. Secure your garage/shed: Keep your garage and shed doors locked when not in use, and consider reinforcing them with additional locks or a security bar/bolt. Avoid leaving tools in plain sight, as thieves could use them to access your home.
6. Be cautious with spare keys: Avoid hiding spare keys in obvious places outside, such as under doormats or plant pots. Instead, give a spare key to a trusted neighbour or invest in keysafe.
7. Practice proper home maintenance: Repair any broken windows, doors, or fences promptly, as they can provide easy access for intruders. Additionally, ensure that your home’s exterior is well-maintained to create a lived-in appearance, even when you’re away.
8. Be mindful of social media sharing: Avoid advertising your absence on social media platforms, as this can alert potential burglars that your home is empty. Share holiday photos and updates after returning.
9. Get to know your neighbours: Develop a good relationship with your neighbours and consider joining a neighbourhood watch program. Looking out for one another and sharing information about suspicious activities can greatly enhance home security.
10. Secure valuables: Keep important documents, jewellery, and other valuables in a secure, fireproof safe. This adds an extra layer of protection in case of a break-in or other emergencies.
Remember, home security is an ongoing practice. Regularly assess and update your security measures to adapt to changing risks. Stay vigilant, and encourage all members of your household to prioritize safety.
For any more information or to arrange a free home security survey please do not hesitate to contact us.