Keeping your home safe when you go on holiday
Burglars target homes that appear to be empty, so the easiest way to deter burglars is to make your home appear busy and lived-in. There are some easy ways to make your home appear inhabited.
- Use digital timers to turn on and off lights, televisions and radios at random times.
- Never leave an answer machine message indicating that you are not at home or are away on holiday!!!.
- Speak to neighbour, friend or family member and ask them to pop by the house to make sure any papers or post isn’t left in view for a long period of time.
- Make sure your wheely bins are either left out of site or ask a neighbour to out it out on collection day and put it back afterwards.
- Blinds r curtains should never be left fully open or closed when you are away, leave curtains slightly open or blinds slightly ajar.
- Make sure that you cancel any milk that is usually delivered and left at your front door, the same for newspapers if you have them delivered too.
- Try to leave a car in your drive (if you have one).
- If you are going to be away for a long period of time, try to make sure that a friend, neighbour or relative comes to cut your lawn.
- Don’t tell anyone you don’t know that your going away – news can travel quickly!!!.
- Make sure you set your burglar alarm!